Here's a script I use to quickly recompile dovecot with vpopmail support on Debian 6.0. I'm using the backports repository to get the 2.1 version of dovecot.
Now I'm using the following script every time I update and I get a new version of the dovecot packages.
sudo apt-get source dovecot-core
sudo apt-get build-dep dovecot-core
dpkg-source -x *.dsc
cd $(find ./ -type d |grep dovecot|head -1)
sed -r -e 's/with-sqlite \\/with-sqlite \\\n\t\t--with-vpopmail \\/' debian/rules > debian/rules.mod
cat debian/rules.mod > debian/rules
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--with-vpopmail" fakeroot debian/rules binary
find $BDIR -type f -name "*.deb"|grep -v 'dbg' |xargs dpkg -i
The last line also installs all the dovecot packages except for the debug one. You might want to change it if you don't want all.
I've been a thunderbird user since firefox was named firebird. I was happy with it, I like the way you can easily search over all accounts, how you can archive messages in folders by year by simply hitting the "a" key, I like the threads and even the "gmail" conversations extension even if I don't use it.
One problem with thunderbird is it became unusable when I added an old account which was accumulating mail up to over 170k messages. I know 170k messages is not realistic and no one should have so many messages in inbox but still this made me look for something better.
First let's see what I'm looking for in an email client:
- Easy global search like thunderbird
- Archive folders and 1 key hit like thudnerbird 🙂
- Easy to mark messages as Spam/Junk with a single key hit, would be great to be able to mark multiple messages with a single key ( thunderbird doesn't have this )
- Message threads
- And last but not least, be able to handle a lot of messages in a folder, don't have to be super fast but at least it shouldn't lock
Here's what I tested so far:
This was a nice surprise.No archivesIt has global search but it's a bit harder to accessHarder junk marking ( shift+ctrl+j instead of just j )Always asks if I want to accept a certificate that's not issued for the exact domain of my email server ( at startup )
Pro: Evolution downloaded 87k message headers in just a few seconds and had no problems with selecting all and moving around.
I could accept all the cons except for the lack of archiving.
Anyone knows of a plugin that does archiving like thunderbird ? Please let me know!
Becomes almost unusable with a big inbox ( 87k), hard to select all messages
Pro: message list groups messages by year ( but this still doesn't beat yearly archives )
- very slow with a lot of messages, takes a lot of time to fetch message headers
- adding an account doesn't show it immediately in the accounts list, unless you restart kmail
- no archives
- no keyboard shortcut for junk/spam marking ( seriously ???)
- global search harder to access
Pro: It's fast an lightweight but that also means it lacks what I want
- No archiving
- No keybboard shortcut for marking junk mail
- No global search
Conclusion: there's no client that meets all my needs so I'm going to have to stay with Thunderbird and just use evolution when I want to open a big folder.
What email client are you using ?